A Beginner's Guide to Chakras
The word Chakra originates from Sanskrit and means wheel. Chakras are energy centers within the human body that help to regulate all its processes, from organ function to the immune system and emotions. We can commonly count 7 chakras positioned throughout your body, from the base of your spine to the crown of your head. Each chakra has its own vibrational frequency, that is depicted through a specific chakra color, and governs specific functions that help make you, well, human.
Read over the reflections section of each Chakra to find out what blockages your may be experiencing.
Location: Base of the Spine
Endocrine Gland: Adrenal Cortex
Physical Organs: Spine, hip joints, rectum, blood, immune system
Physical Dysfunction: Chronic lower back pain, Sciatica, Rectal Tumors/cancer, chronic fatigue/depression, fibromyalgia, arthritis, skin problems, immune-related disorders
Psychological Functions: Survival, safety and security, independence, money, food, career, home, physical safety, physical belonging
Challenge: Any fears or worries about physical needs (money, career, home, belongings)
· Do you feel grounded or connected?
· Do you feel secure and safe?
· Are you financially stable?
· Do you catch yourself daydreaming?
· Do you give up easily?
· Do you take time for yourself?
· Do you prioritize others?
· Do you show signs of addiction?
· Do you exercise, eat healthy, and rest?
Location: Halfway between your root chakra and belly button
Endocrine Gland: Ovaries, testicles
Physical Organs: Sexual organs, large intestine, pelvis, appendix, bladder
Physical Dysfunction: Chronic lower back pain, Sciatica, OB/GYN Problems, Pelvic Pain, Sexual Potency, Urinary Problems, Creativity, Appendicitis
Psychological Functions: Movement and connection, this chakra controls our desire to serve pleasures through sound, taste, smell, touch, and sight
Challenge: Guilt and Blame
· Do you feel emotionally stable?
· Do you feel creative?
· Do you feel blocked?
· Are you in touch with your sensuality?
· Are you able to feel sensual pleasure?
Location: Above your belly button
Endocrine Gland: Adrenals, pancreas
Physical Organs: Abdomen, stomach, upper intestines, liver, gallbladder, kidney, pancreas, adrenal glands, spleen, middle spine, lower esophagus
Physical Dysfunction: Arthritis, gastric ulcers, colon/intestinal problems, pancreatitis/diabetes, indigestion, anorexia, bulimia, liver dysfunction, hepatitis, irritable bowel syndrome constipation, diarrhea, adrenal dysfunction
Psychological Functions: Trust, self-esteem, self-worth, the responsibility to make decisions and choices to follow through
· Do you feel worthy?
· Are you self-confident?
· Do you have high self-esteem?
· Are you in touch with your inner power?
· Do you trust your decisions?
· Are you in touch with your intuition?
· Do you feel fatigued?
· Is it easy to make decisions?
· Do you feel people’s energy?
· Do you lack concentration?
Location: Heart Level
Endocrine Gland: Thymus
Physical Organs: Heart and circulatory system, lungs, shoulders, arms, ribs, breast, diaphragm, thymus gland, upper esophagus
Physical Dysfunction: Congestive heart failure, heart attack, mitral valve prolapse, cardiomegaly, asthma/allergy, lung cancer, bronchial pneumonia, upper back, should, breast cancer, hypertension
Psychological Functions: Connection between the physical self to the higher self (spiritual self), capacity to accept ourselves and others, to trust, to express and resolve anger, hostility, joy, love, grief, forgiveness. Sense of having what you need, abundance, prosperity and good health
· Is it easy to give and receive love?
· Do you love yourself unconditionally?
· Do you accept yourself just the way you are?
· Do you love others unconditionally?
· Do you feel empathy for others?
· Do you struggle with keeping healthy relationships?
· Do you feel lonely or isolated?
· Do you carry unresolved relationships from the past?
· Do you feel fear or resentment towards love or being loved?
Location: Throat Level
Element: Akasha (Spirit)
Endocrine Gland: Thyroid and parathyroid
Physical Organs: Thyroid, throat, trachea, neck vertebrae, mouth, teeth, gums
Physical Dysfunction: Bronchitis, chronic sore throats, mouth ulcers, gum difficulties, temporomandibular joint problems (TMJ), cervical disc disease, laryngitis, swollen glands, thyroid problems
Psychological Functions: It represents communication, the expression of truth, our emotional intelligence, and our ability to hear the thoughts of others, the voice inside of you and to develop clairaudience (hearing guide)
· Do you feel understood?
· Are you able to listen to others?
· Do you communicate with ease and honesty?
· Do you have difficulties to express yourself?
· Do you speak your truth?
THIRD EYE CHAKRA
Location: At the level of the forehead, between your eyes and just above your eyebrows
Element: All elements combined (light)
Endocrine Gland: Pineal Gland
Physical Organs: Brain, eyes, ears, nose, pineal gland, nervous system, pituitary gland
Physical Dysfunction: Brain tumor/hemorrhage, stoke, neurological disturbances, blindness, deafness, full spinal difficulties, learning disabilities, seizures, dizziness, ringing in ears
Psychological Functions: Personal expression, following one’s dreams, balance left and right sides of the brain, ability to see clairvoyantly (see people, places, events in the future)
· Do you feel in touch with your intuition?
· Do you have the desire to connect with your spiritual self?
· Do you feel like those insights or intuitions come and go?
· Are you able to see the truth beneath?
· Do you have the ability to see spirit?
Location: At the top of the head
Element: No element, or thought
Endocrine Gland: Pituitary Gland
Physical Organs: Muscular, skeletal system, skin
Physical Dysfunction: Developmental disorders (cerebral palsy), genetic disorders, MS, ALS, multiple system abnormalities, energetic disorders, mystical depression, chronic exhaustion (not linked to physical disorders), extreme sensitivities to light, sound and other environmental factors
Psychological Functions: Ability to trust life, clear sense of life’s purpose, connection to the Universe, ability to see larger pattern, selflessness, humanitarianism
· Do you feel in touch with your true self?
· Do you feel connected to your guides?
· Do you feel supported by the Universe?
· Have you had a sense of a past life?
· Do you ever receive information that comes from a divine source?
· Have you had a moment of pure bliss?
· Do you feel a desire to achieve this state?